Dear Students & Parents/Guardians,
We are excited to share the news that the Christina School District School Board of Education has approved the expansion of middle school uniforms to include Shue-Medill Middle School and Gauger-Cobbs Middle School. As a result, all four district middle schools will now have school uniforms.
Prior to the school board vote, our school community engaged in a process to draft our guidelines. The process included staff, students and parents. We are pleased to share with you the final outcome of this process. The policy guidelines are as follows:
Shue-Medill Middle School Uniform Policy
School Year 2012-2013
- Polo Shirt:
- All Grades: Solid Navy blue or solid white (see shirt color chart)
- Solid color, collared, 2-3 buttons. May be long or short sleeved. No patterns, logos, designs, or artwork permitted. Shirts cannot be ripped, frayed or cut and cannot have holes.
- Shue-Medill polo and sweatshirts may be worn Monday through Friday.
- Spirit-wear, or T-shirts with the school insignia, May only be worn on Fridays.
- Must cover chest (cleavage)
- May not hang below fingertips while arms are at side
- May not be cinched, tied, or clipped in the front, side or back
- Tops must not expose any of the midriff or lower back (while seated and standing). Fishnet tops, halter tops, tube tops, strapless, tops, tank tops, spaghetti straps and other forms of transparent or revealing clothing are prohibited and should not be visible at any time.
- Long or short-sleeved undershirts, camisoles, or tank tops are permitted
- If visible under uniform shirt the garment must be either solid white or navy (see color chart) in color. No patterns, designs or artwork permitted.
- Must be tucked in or shorter than uniform shirt (Cannot hang below the uniform shirt)
- Sweaters/Sweatshirts (Cold Weather Attire):
- This includes:
- Cardigan or pullover sweaters
- Sweatshirt or hooded sweatshirt
- Must be white or Navy blue (see shirt color chart)
- No oversized hoods or collars ex.-excessive fur
- No patterns, designs, logos or artwork, other than Shue-Medill insignia, are permitted
- Collared school uniform shirt must be worn under these garments
Must be solid color. No patterns, designs, or artwork permitted. No cargo pants or excessive pockets/pouches or zippers. Pants should not be ripped, frayed or cut and should not have holes.
- Pants should be slacks-like material-no denim or stretch pants allowed
- Shorts, skorts and skirts cannot be more than 2 inches above the knee
- Must be worn at the waist at all times. Belts are preferred and must be plain in design with no monogram or oversized buckles. No studs, metal trappings, or military web-style belts allowed. If pants are not appropriately sized to remain at your waist, administration or a designee will require the use of a belt or zip-tie to keep pants at the waistline. If this is a chronic issue a belt will be required as part of the identified students school uniform.
- Students will not be permitted to roll-up their pants or folded at the cuff.
Students may not wear the following:
- Oversized, baggy, sagging, or hip hugger pants
- Cargo style bottoms/excessive side pockets
- Athletic shorts, sweat pants
- Jeans, cut off jeans, denim shorts
Leggings/Jeggings/Tights (Cannot be worn as pants…may be worn under skirts, skorts, and shorts):
- Must be solid color
- White or black, no patterns, artwork or designs
- Must cover entire leg down to the ankle
- Shoes must cover the entire foot. No open-toe or open-heeled shoes are allowed.
- Heels may not exceed 2” in height.
- No neon or excessive colors (ex: Hot pink, lime green, neon orange)
- All shoes must be enclosed and fastened/tied properly.
Students may not wear:
- Clogs, crocs, flip flops, wheelies, slippers, moccasins, etc….
- Sock must be neutral and solid in color. No neon or excessive colors (distracting, clashing, ex: Hot pink, lime green, neon orange etc..).
- No logos, patterns, artwork or designs
- It will be not permitted to tuck pants into socks.
- No facial jewelry is allowed (nose, eyebrow, lip,tongue, etc….).
- Necklaces are permitted if they fit closely and do not overhang on clothing. Long necklaces must be worn tucked inside the shirt or may not be worn at all.
- No beads or beaded necklaces are to be worn.
Purses and handbags:
- Can be no larger than a regular piece of paper (8-1/2” x 11”).
- Oversized bags must be stored in student lockers.
- Students will not be permitted to carry books in handbags or purses.
Hair and head coverings:
- Hats, caps, scarves, and bandanas are prohibited.
- Unconventional hairstyles that distract or disrupt the educational environment are prohibited, ex: Mohawks, etc.
- Hair color is to be a natural color, brown, blond, black, natural red/auburn
- No excessive hair colors, red, blue, green etc.
- Students will be allowed to participate in religious expression to the limit currently permitted under the Religious Freedom Restoration Act.
- Outside coats and jackets are not permitted to be worn throughout the school day, they must be stored in lockers during homeroom.
- Oversized bags and shoulder bags will be stored in lockers during homeroom.
- Book bags, backpacks, string bags are not to be worn or carried during the school day. They will be stored in student lockers during homeroom.
- Sunglasses may not be worn in the building.
- No gloves or scarves are permitted in the building.
Students will be permitted to participate in religious expression to the limit currently permitted.
Administrative Prerogative: The Shue-Medill Middle School Administration reserves the right to address uniform issues that present themselves as a distraction to the students or the educational process. A parent who objects, on behalf of their student, to the school uniform because of his or her religion, religious belief or because of a medical condition must obtain a copy of the policy regarding the Shue-Medill Middle School uniform and dress code, then submit a request for exemption in writing. The principal will review the written request for exemption and will accept or deny the request. During the course of the school year Shue-Medill Middle School Administration reserves the right to amend said policy and will notify all constituents of amendments in writing.
- First and Second Violation: Parent/guardian will be asked to bring a change of clothing to school. If a parent/guardian is unable/unwilling to bring a change of clothing to the school, the student will be placed in an exclusionary setting until uniform issues are corrected.
- Third Violation: Parent/guardian notification and one day of detention
- Fourth Violation: Parent/guardian notification and one Saturday detention
- Subsequent Violations: Parent/guardian notification and one day of in-school suspension
- Continued excessive violations may result in out of school suspension
The clothing items outlined in the policy are available at many local stores including, but not limited to the following:
- Target, K-Mart, Wal-Mart, J.C. Penney’s, Sears, Kohl’s, Old Navy
As we implement our new policy, we would like to create a “New Clothes Closet” to support families who may need assistance. If you are able, please consider purchasing one additional item to donate to this effort. These items can be brought to the main office.
We appreciate your support and look forward to enhancing our learning environment and supporting our positive school climate with the implementation of our new school uniform policy. Additional information will be made available on the Shue-Medill website as well as the Christina School District website.
Principal, Shue-Medill Middle School